Join us for a great afternoon of learning! Whether you're a dog professional or a dog lover, we'll have lots of great information to entertain and educate you on one of our favorite species.
This seminar is for people only, however, quiet and well-behaved dogs are permitted to accompany their people on leash. Sessions are $20 each, or attend the entire day for $50.
Continuing education credits have been applied for with the CCPDT and MVMA. This page will be updated when we receive approval on CEUs.
Session One: DECODING DOGS 1-3pm
Presented by: Sara Reusche CBCC-KA, CPDT-KSA, CVT
Learn what your dog is saying and how to talk to dogs so that they can understand you!
This interesting interactive presentation will include lots of examples of canine body language, and plenty of opportunities to practice the art of “reading” dogs.
You will learn:
- Common stress signals that every dog uses.
- How to calm a nervous dog using his own language.
- Why not all wagging tails are friendly.
- When is growling a good thing?
- What appropriate dog-dog play looks like, and when you should intervene.
This presentation will have something for everyone, whether you're new to the world of dogs or a seasoned professional.
Session Two: BIG LOVE: MANAGING MULTIPLE DOGS 3:15-5:15pm
Presented by: Laura McKinney, CPDT-KA
Note: we highly recommend attending Decoding Dogs prior to attending Big Love, as Laura will be referring to many of the behaviors discussed in the previous lecture during her talk.
Are you thinking about adding another dog to your family? Considering fostering? Looking to smooth rocky relationships or prevent issues among the dogs you already have? Join Paws Abilities' own Laura McKinney, for an interactive seminar on loving and living with multiple dogs.
Session Three: PUPPIES 101 5:30-7:30pm
Presented by: Carrie Davis, CPDT-KA
Do you have a new puppy? Are you bringing a new puppy home soon? Maybe you're a foster parent, or are just thinking about getting a puppy, or want to learn more about how to set puppies up for success. We're here to help!
This interactive seminar will give you the confidence to start your puppy off right, so that he or she can grow up to be the dog of your dreams. Even if you've raised multiple pups before, we'll share some of the newest tips and tricks to make your life easier... things that you may not have even thought about!
We'll teach you all about....
- Socialization: you've heard how important it is. But what does it really mean?
- Handling: how to ensure that your puppy is a dream to groom and a delight for the veterinary staff to examine.
- Chewing: how to create a chew-toy addict - and save your furniture and shoes from puppy teeth!
- Mouthing: when it's appropriate for your puppy to nip you, and what to do to make her stop.
- Potty training: winter is coming. How do you speed up your puppy's potty training?
- Crate training: tips for training your puppy to adore her "bedroom!"
- Management: crates, gates, tethers, leashes - here are some top tips to keep your puppy out of trouble when you can't supervise her!
- Toys: learn all about our favorite puppy toys for teething and enrichment.
- Feeding: we'll show you how to get the most out of your puppy's mealtime, as well as how to avoid guarding issues in the future (spoiler alert: it has nothing to do with sticking your hand in her food bowl while she eats).
...with plenty of time for Q&A afterwards.